Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fort Davis--March 2012
















The photograph on the left is of a painting I created in 2006 here in Fort Davis. It is one of a series of old adobes. The photograph on the right was taken yesterday of my set up to paint a new painting of the same adobe, now with its roof caved in. I have not used the same position as for the painting in 2006, but rather have shifted my point of view to take in the distance Dutchover-Ganados-Scobee Mountain. But with this new painting, which measures 24 x 40 inches, I want to document the adobe's ruin of this period of time.

I have come back to Fort Davis for an extended stay through the end of March. So far I have endured several days of cold, windy weather which kept me inside and not working. However, the weather has cleared now and it is warm and perfect for painting. I did take in the scenic loop last Saturday afternoon and found several sites I want to return to and create a few watercolors. Also yesterday I created a watercolor of a pour off in Musquiz Canyon on the road between Fort Davis and Alpine. I have started a morning painting in front of the Presbyterian Church of Sleeping Lion Mountain, the prominent feature of the town of Fort Davis.




No comments: